Wednesday 13 January 2010

Hutong

28/F, 1 Peking Road, Kowloon
tel. 3428 8342

I went there with the newly dubbed 'Michelin Club' (a group who would like to visit all the Michelin-starred restaurants in HK).

We each ordered a dish and then we ate family-style.  BIG family-style...there were seven of us!

Some dishes we had:

Jade dumplings - a green, vegetarian dumpling.  It was recommended by the waiter and did not disappoint.
Pork dumplings - basically xiao long bao.  It was good, but did not hold a candle to Beautiful Shanghai's.
Pork tendons - really melt-in-your-mouth.  Even the squeamish-est liked it.
Red Lantern soft-shell crabs - hot, hot hot.  Tasty, but my lips were burning afterwards, as were my gums and tongue.  I have to say, I can eat hot food, but this was less enjoyable because it was so hot.  Not for the faint-hearted.  The presentation was extraordinary though.

Crispy boneless lamb legs - you eat this crispy-duck-style, with pancakes.  I would say my favourite dish.


All in all, a good experience.  The service was good, however we did have one slightly surly waitress (of the three who attended our table).  For some reason we had trouble hearing each other and the waitstaff, most likely because we were sitting right underneath the stereo speakers.  But the decor was really cool.  It's the kind of place I would go back to with visitors.

Michelin gives this one star.
toasty.com gives 8 and 9 ratings.
Rating:  3

1 comment:

  1. I give it a 2 if your Chinese...too many other good places at more reasonable prices. A 3 of your a foreigner. This is a "Chinese restaurant for expats".

    ReplyDelete