Sunday 17 January 2010

Oonami

39 Cadogan Street, Kennedy Town
tel. 2817 6626

A little gem in Kennedy town.


I first went with a friend who had heard of it from a HK pal of hers.  We went for lunch, and were amazed at the reasonable (well, cheap, in HK!) prices for set lunches.  We each ordered a set lunch, mine was the sushi set, which had 8 pieces of sushi, miso soup, pickles and coddled egg, for HK$138.  WOW.  Although you have to pick only one of each type, the list was quite extensive, and even included O Toro.  My friend ordered the chopped O Toro with scallions on sushi rice, which came with a little (ha!) dish of sashimi (about 6 giant pieces), miso soup, pickles and coddled egg.  I can't recall the price, but it was even cheaper than mine.

I've been back several times, and have not been disappointed.  The fish is fresh and delicious, the miso cod is on a par with Nobu (minus the decorations).  And the prices can't be beat.

The only point I would make is to make sure they know when you would like everything served.  I am partial to sushi and sashimi, so I tend to order that, however in Japanese culture this gets served first, then the other dishes.  If your dining companion(s) order something else (like shabu shabu), you want to make sure you ask them to bring it all at the same time.

Rating:  4

No comments:

Post a Comment